Skip to main content

Day 15 - August 3

It's 7:00 a.m. and I am packed and ready to roll. Two of my new Kansas friendsds are awake and I donate purchased but unused firewood for their Friday night fire. A brief but tearful goodby and I'm off. The first mile is all up hill. The second mile is all up hill. After the third uphill mile I pass a cell phone tower which usually signals the top of the hill.  Another four miles and there is finally a crest. The view is breathtaking but I have no breath left to take after 7 miles up hill. The remaining 47 miles is considerably easier.

It is all going on in Ashland, Wisconsin. Today is the first day of their annual festival. Sidewalk sales, food trucks and music. There is a Big Wheel tricycle race on Main Street and lots of happy faces. Tomorrow there is a swimming race in the 50 degree water of the bay and a 50 mile bike race with 400 contestants.  I had dinner at the South Shore  Brewery at the bar and sat next to a couple from Oshkosh that came up for the bike race. As first timers they have to start well back in the pack but they are hoping to post good times and move up next year. I ordered jambalaya and put out the andoule sausage fire with a nut brown microbrew.  Not Iechyd da quality but not bad.

James the bartender is a twentysomething Ashland local. He made a mistake on a frozen strawberry daqueri and proclaimed that, being from Wisconsin, free alcohol is always welcome. I politely decline explaining that daqueri is not my thing. I can tell he wants to chat it up so I order a Jack on the rocks. James has a need to flee Ashland and is not shy about expressing that desire. The last straw was an overnight snowfall totaling 68 inches. That is as much snow as Zimmyville gets in an entire year. He has his sights set on a small Arizona town near the California border. The escape plan is to go visit and never come back. I wish him good luck.

Ashland was a good layover. Nice peeps and pretty scenery. 54 miles and 834 trip to date.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Post - Written February, 2018

Hi, and welcome to the first installment of A Superior Bike Adventure!   It is an adventure that has not yet begun, other than initial stage planning.   As much as I hope it will be the best adventure ever, the superlative “Superior” refers to the lake, not my riding skills.   My intent, you see, is to circumnavigate Lake Superior on a bike – the pedal kind, not the Harley kind. My first flirtation with this adventure was the idea of completing the great loop in a trawler.   The great loop is a term that refers to boating a complete circle from the Intercontinental waterway, to the St. Lawrence seaway, the Great Lakes, the Mississippi river and the Gulf of Mexico back to the original starting point on the eastern seaboard.   The plan was a two-year live-aboard experience interrupted only by a winter layover in Lake Michigan during which we would return to our home.   I studied the loop and read several accounts written by “loopers” to prepare for this...

Post 3 - Google Maps

So what really goes into planning a month-long bike trip?   The best strategy may be:   Pack a PB&J sandwich, make an ATM withdrawal and set off for Canada with a six-pack of Labatt’s.   What better way to see the great white north – Eh Hoser? Yeah, maybe there are a couple more considerations.   The first and most important one is:   Where will you eat and sleep?   I am ready to make camp with a tent that weighs just over 3 lbs. plus air mattress and 40 ° rated sleeping bag.   This picture is from a recent overnight training excursion to South Haven, MI   But you can’t just pitch a tent anywhere – the authorities frown upon that.   I also prefer the safety of being surrounded by like-minded people.   So, thanks to Google Maps I have scoped out just about every campground and civilized lodging along the entire 1,390 mile route.   Eating is another matter.   ...

Day 5 - 7/23/18

Day 5 begins in the company of a half-dozen bikers all camped in the town square in Hooverville style. I'm the first to break camp and make my way to the road. About an hour later, Gordon catches up to me and, being the slowest bike on the Trans-Canada highway, I waved him through. He says he prefers company and although ahead of me, he is matching my speed. We stop for lunch at the only restaurant between our White River starting point and the destination of Marathon. The restaurant is only a few months old and, based on the number of failed businesses along the route, I question the probability of success but hope for the best. Nice people trying hard to make a go of it. Over lunch, we share some of our personal history and discuss world politics. Gordon is a Canaduan originally from Vancouver. He moved to Europe 25 years ago and ended up as a banker in Edinburgh.  Now married to a Scot with two kids in college, he became a British subject by way of his heritage. He also aban...