Skip to main content

Day 17 - August 5

Nina told me yesterday that several of our friends wonder why I'm not back home yet. It is hard to  appreciate just how big Lake Superior is. Yesterday was a history lesson, today's topic: geography. This is the largest fresh water lake in the world. Had I left from Zimmyville, riding south, I would be in Atlanta, Georgia now and probably staying overnight with Jay and Marilyn or Frank and Lauralie in our old neighborhood at Willow Springs. Continuing to ride south, I would finish up in Key West in a couple of weeks. Same distance in a straight line but instead I'm up in the wilderness riding in circles.  It's a big ass lake.

A 33 mile detour took me off my game today. The road in these parts turns inland for a time and the detour is extending my time away from Superior. I had hoped to get back to shoreline roads tomorrow but Tuesday is now more likely.

I crossed back into the Eastern Time Zone this afternoon. When you travel at 10 miles an hour, little milestones take on more meaning.

Today's ride 51 miles for a total of 929.

Comments

  1. All those trips from Zimmyville to Atlanta and back, I'll bet you never thought to ride your bike! 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Post - Written February, 2018

Hi, and welcome to the first installment of A Superior Bike Adventure!   It is an adventure that has not yet begun, other than initial stage planning.   As much as I hope it will be the best adventure ever, the superlative “Superior” refers to the lake, not my riding skills.   My intent, you see, is to circumnavigate Lake Superior on a bike – the pedal kind, not the Harley kind. My first flirtation with this adventure was the idea of completing the great loop in a trawler.   The great loop is a term that refers to boating a complete circle from the Intercontinental waterway, to the St. Lawrence seaway, the Great Lakes, the Mississippi river and the Gulf of Mexico back to the original starting point on the eastern seaboard.   The plan was a two-year live-aboard experience interrupted only by a winter layover in Lake Michigan during which we would return to our home.   I studied the loop and read several accounts written by “loopers” to prepare for this...

Post 3 - Google Maps

So what really goes into planning a month-long bike trip?   The best strategy may be:   Pack a PB&J sandwich, make an ATM withdrawal and set off for Canada with a six-pack of Labatt’s.   What better way to see the great white north – Eh Hoser? Yeah, maybe there are a couple more considerations.   The first and most important one is:   Where will you eat and sleep?   I am ready to make camp with a tent that weighs just over 3 lbs. plus air mattress and 40 ° rated sleeping bag.   This picture is from a recent overnight training excursion to South Haven, MI   But you can’t just pitch a tent anywhere – the authorities frown upon that.   I also prefer the safety of being surrounded by like-minded people.   So, thanks to Google Maps I have scoped out just about every campground and civilized lodging along the entire 1,390 mile route.   Eating is another matter.   ...

Day 5 - 7/23/18

Day 5 begins in the company of a half-dozen bikers all camped in the town square in Hooverville style. I'm the first to break camp and make my way to the road. About an hour later, Gordon catches up to me and, being the slowest bike on the Trans-Canada highway, I waved him through. He says he prefers company and although ahead of me, he is matching my speed. We stop for lunch at the only restaurant between our White River starting point and the destination of Marathon. The restaurant is only a few months old and, based on the number of failed businesses along the route, I question the probability of success but hope for the best. Nice people trying hard to make a go of it. Over lunch, we share some of our personal history and discuss world politics. Gordon is a Canaduan originally from Vancouver. He moved to Europe 25 years ago and ended up as a banker in Edinburgh.  Now married to a Scot with two kids in college, he became a British subject by way of his heritage. He also aban...