Skip to main content

Day 25 - August 13

Today was not the most glamorous ride. The geniuses at Google marked a bike path along the shoreline that is actually a snowmobile trail. Google has made that same mistake almost everywhere in the U.P. except in city centers. Just a guess; the teenage gamers in Silicone Valley have not seen nor heard of a snowmobile.  The route change to accommodate this took me through the middle of the U.P. which does not have quite the same cachet as Lake Superior.

So I had a chance to see the guts of this peninsula and am sorry to report that it looks just like home. Every going concern has a help wanted sign. Hospitality business service is spotty up here and I chalked that up to cultural differences. Rethinking that supposition however, it is likely that every business is just short staffed. My friend Todd has this same issue in Elkhart so I don't recommend that he spend any money trying to recruit Yoopers.

The day ended with a call from my buddy Patrick just checking up on me and offering an attaboy. It has been fun to connect with the characters on this trip, like Clem in the pick-up truck who, earlier today, chatted me up while I drank a giant Gatorade in the parking lot of a convenience store. In just five minutes, I learned that he had a triple bypass and a new heart valve in June. Expressing his sentiment that he is happy to be above ground, he also started to explain something they do with the appendix but his son returned to the car and cut the conversation short. Clem did manage to finish with "watch out for them bears just past Soo Corners." When he saw the look on my face, he fortunately admitted "I's just kiddin.". As entertaining as these encounters are, I am missing the company of my peeps. Not to mention Nina & PL.

66 miles today for 1,348 total.  I think I see Marathon Key just ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1 7/19/18

Hey FOB’s (friends of bike) - I’m baaaack!  Have had some WiFi issues. I entered the Ontario provincial park at the end of day one. The park is big on breath-taking scenery but connectivity is not a priority. Started the day in Sault Ste. Marie, MI and immediately crossed the Canadian border over the International Bridge to Sault Ste Marie, Ontario. Now you might romanticize this city to be the gateway to the great white north with towering pines and hardscrabble granite. Nope. The Soo, in Canada, is a gritty industrial city with belching smokestacks and a parade of 1,000 foot freighters passing through its locks. I think it may qualify as a S*hole which led me to the conclusion that there must be a long line of immigrants requesting amnesty. But when I passed U.S. customs there were no signs of huddled masses. Not a single anchor baby waited in the holding tank after being ripped from his mother’s arms. The whole scene made me think we need to rethink our new policy permitting entry

Day 15 - August 3

It's 7:00 a.m. and I am packed and ready to roll. Two of my new Kansas friendsds are awake and I donate purchased but unused firewood for their Friday night fire. A brief but tearful goodby and I'm off. The first mile is all up hill. The second mile is all up hill. After the third uphill mile I pass a cell phone tower which usually signals the top of the hill.  Another four miles and there is finally a crest. The view is breathtaking but I have no breath left to take after 7 miles up hill. The remaining 47 miles is considerably easier. It is all going on in Ashland, Wisconsin. Today is the first day of their annual festival. Sidewalk sales, food trucks and music. There is a Big Wheel tricycle race on Main Street and lots of happy faces. Tomorrow there is a swimming race in the 50 degree water of the bay and a 50 mile bike race with 400 contestants.  I had dinner at the South Shore  Brewery at the bar and sat next to a couple from Oshkosh that came up for the bike race. As fir

Day 2 - 7/20/18

This blogging stuff is way harder in an iPhone than it is on a Surface. Day 2 is one that I hope not to repeat on this trip. The weather forecast is for rain overnight tonight, continuing into Saturday 7/21. I modified the original plan to accommodate the rain prediction.  At the time it seemed like a good idea. Rather than 40 miles to Agatha Bay on Friday and then 50 miles to Wawa in the rain in Saturday I’ll just do the whole thing in one day. So... I start out on a beautiful morning that quickly steams into the 80’s.  Up north is not supposed to be this hot or this humid. The gentle hills also turn into killer mountains that strain every inch of gluts and quads.  In all a 4,000 ft elevation gain. Several of these “hills” were at grades that forced me into hiking mode. My Apple Watch says that I covered 35, a 000 steps totaling 17 miles - uphill. The day’smileage total was 92. Most of the Ontario Provincial Park is undeveloped. No food, no gas, no hotels, and no stores. A prote